Identification of freshwater fish based on characteristics of egg, yolk sac larvae, and/or larvae primarily in the Great Lakes region and Ohio River Basin. References used to build this key include:
1) Auer, Nancy A. Identification of Larval Fishes of the Great Lakes Basin With Emphasis on the Lake Michigan Drainage. Great Lakes Fishery Commission, 1982.
2) Kowalyk, H. Fish Life Histories, [with emphasis on egg stage]
3) Wallus, R., T. P. Simon, and B. L. Yeager. Reproductive biology and early life history of fishes in the Ohio River drainage. [Volume 1: Acipenseridae through Esocidae and Volume 2: Catostomidae]. Tennessee Valley Authority, Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA, 1990.
Identification of fish found along the eastern seaboard of the United States, Atlantic Ocean, based on characteristics of egg, yolk sac larvae, and/or larvae. References used to build this key include:
1) Richards, William J., ed. Early Stages of Atlantic Fishes: An Identification Guide for the Western Central North Atlantic. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Taylor & Francis, 2005.
2) Böhlke, Eugenia B. Fishes of the Western North Atlantic, Part 9 Volume 2: Leptocephali, 1989.
3) Development of Fishes of the Mid-Atlantic Bight: An Atlas of Egg, Larval and Juvenile Stages, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, 1978.
Identification of fish found along the western coast of the United States, Pacific Ocean, based on characteristics of egg, yolk sac larvae, and/or larvae. Reference used to build this key:
1) Moser, H. Geoffrey, editor. The Early Stages of Fishes in the California Current Region, California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Invesgtigations Atlas No. 33 (CALCOFI), Sponsored by the United States Department of Commerce National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration National Marine Fisheries Service Southwest Fisheries Science Center, Supported in part by a contract with the United States Department of the Interior Minerals Management Service Pacific Outer Continental Shelf Region, 1996.